MiOopinion.com

where we speak freely
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:33 pm 

Don't Starve: Console Edition for PS4, is a nice sandbox survival game. Even though the game just drops you in no tutorial, or help, you can meek out the days by running around with an axe, trap, and possible shovel, but to truly have a "good" experience in the little prison you're trapped in, you'll need to learn the multiple uses of every tool, for example, I had no idea you could use the razor to shave the beefaloos..... but anyways, setting up a base camp with all the extra features i.e. science/alchemy machines, farms, fire pit, crock pot. I have some tips I have found out myself, but I'm sure you must of found them out to Kitty ;)

Also, because you only get XP if you die, I let myself die on day 23, to unlock my new favorite character Willow. Also, if you find the Gate to unlock the two secret character, the world that the trials exist in, DO NOT go off the custom settings, if you have them on. Found that out the hard way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Cool findings. some of tips I have no idea until you mention them.
Another tip about how to capture rabbit is. you don't need a trap at all. just need a berry or carrot. place it on the ground near a rabbit. it'll slowly approaching the food. you then equip an axe, go around behind the rabbit and keep a distant from it. when you see it's starting eating the food. then run up to it -"KILL" :twisted:
which will net you both the original food and rabbit meat.
sometime you could kill two rabbit if the food drop distance is even to both rabbit. kill two birds with one stone 一箭双雕 :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:50 pm 

I don't worry about Rabbits when it comes to food. I use the shovel, and dig up every berry.bush I can find, and plant them at my base where I keep my machines :D Then I use my seeds with Advanced Farms to turbo grow seeds after I use manure from the nearby beefalos to fertilize them. SO MANY VEGGIES!! Lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:45 am 
Site Admin

I find myself addicted to this little game even I hate most open world games.
The game has ridiculous amount of depth for such a small game. Totally hardcore Jrpg formula.
I bet the dev must from japan or who is a fan of hardcore Jrpg games like demon souls.
The saddist game setting in the adventure mode will torture you to the last living breath of ur char.
:o but it's getting addicting. ;)

The game remind me a lot of demon souls and spelunker HD. Encourage player to learn and figure out stuff on their own.
You can tell the designer put a lot of effort into tweaking the mechanics to ensure a good torture experience. Every smart designs.

A few suggestion
1:put some words above/below each component picture to explain what they are, so player can intensionally search them out during exploring.
2:The sandbox mode could use some hint to illustrating more on point of interest which will help exploring. I found myself often miss key point of interest just 1 feet away from my revealed walk path.
3: let user set customized landmark on map.
4: warm hole teleports could use some color coding to distinguish which connect to which.

That's it for now. Might do a full review of it if I get time, just too busy with this site's coding and design. Sigh...
Overall, Cool game, highly recommended if you are a hardcore Jrpg fan who like to learn game mechanics by numerous death :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:42 pm 

Yeah, that's true, if you find a pack of beefalos or pigs, they should be marked on the map, considering how important they are!
Adventure Mode totally sucks lol, because you need to figure out how to do something, and it tells you nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

ya, adventure mode super tough stuff just to torture your mind. i find sth that could help you a little bit. I used it as my info guide but still died tons of times. I guess the hard part is generated by the map is randomly generated each time. so a single mistake in exploring direction or decision will end up in death.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/ ... ture_Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:19 am 

First time I found the gate, I got the Archipalago one, and I only ran into those damn clockwork monsters, and there was no clockwork hippo to trample them :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

clockwork monsters are impossible to beat without damage so better wear good protections. log armor is best armor imo. easy to make and won't sacrifice your char's speed.
Anyway, finnal unlocked maxwell by constantly backup my save to usb drive :twisted:
Still took me 2 days to beat the adventure mode.

this game's adventure mode is total sadist.
I think they should provide some type of hint to help ppl plan ahead on how to explore. the beeping of the divine rod isn't enough.
If I'm the designer, I will add the watch tower posts scattered around the entire map,which will have viewable icons on the fog of war(similar to Assassin's Creed's setting). when player climb it, it will reveal a small circle area of the map. This will help player learn the scale of the map so they can plan their move ahead which make more sense for a strategy survival game.
Currently setting is highly depend on luck which direction player explored. Doesn't feel much strategy in the play. Just my two cents :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:47 pm 

Yeah, there's no way I'm even giving a crap about Adventure Mode. Between the unrealistic spike in difficulty (I meam, losing all your items? Really?!?! :x ) That and the second hidden character, Wes, he is.surrounded by multiple spawns of Clockwork Monsters, has a laughably low spawn rate (1-5% I read some places) and is a worthless character with no benefits. :(

I'll probably work on getting all the normal characters, then just play this game whenever I feel like it
Lol :lol:

I even have a flash drive. I just don't want to mess.around with adventure mode, its only 2 trophies. I have some brand new games in feburary to worry about ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

3rd day on the journey of finding Wes, no luck. Wish I can enter a command to unlock entire map view like they do on PC. :x sigh...